Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Good Day

"This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." - Psalms 118:24

Yesterday was my 14th wedding anniversary. I spent the early part of the day at home with my family. My wife had the beginnings of a migraine, so I stayed home, spending some time with my children. Around mid-to-late morning, I went into work, taking my son, Andrew, with me since he's on Fall Break. Tracy took Sara to work with her.

Andrew and I had fun at work. He watched a movie, played with his Nintendo DS, fiddled with all of my office supplies, punching holes in paper, making paper airplanes, etc. He and I then went to lunch together, which he loved. Around the middle part of the afternoon, Tracy came and picked him up, and I went to the gym to get a little exercise for the day. After that, I made a quick jaunt to the store to pick up a small anniversary present and card, and then we met at one of our favorite restaurants to eat dinner.

We ate (pigged out actually), talked, discussed our 14 years, our kids, church, work, and a whole host of other topics. Then, we went to see a movie, which I'd probably rate slightly above average (a 6 out of 10, or so). Tracy and I then went home, visited with my mom, who was watching our children.

After this, I watched most of the presidential debate, chilled on the couch, relaxed, still feeling overly stuffed from the excessive meal. We got the kids in bed and finished off our anniversary with some alone time.

All in all, with everything considered, it was a good day.

Andrew is in 2nd grade now, and ever since he began Kindergarten, my wife has been the one to take him to school nearly every single morning. Since he has to be there by 8 a.m., most mornings I am still in bed when they leavek, and the routine is nearly always the same.

She gets Andrew ready for school, getting him dressed, packing his backpack, serving him breakfast, etc. And, just before they leave, assuming I'm still asleep, he will always come upstairs to say good-bye. It has evolved into a "Groundhog Day"-like routine that I cherish. Nearly every single time, it's the exact same thing over and over.

Andrew crawls in bed with me, gives me a hug. I then turn over and he gives me a kiss. Then, he always says, "I love you, Dad." I respond in kind, and then, this is my favorite part and I'm not really sure why, nor do I know how it ever even started.

The last thing he always says to me is: "I hope you have a good day."

And, I always respond: "You too, bud."

Then, he's off to school.

Every day, as I hear him bounding down the steps, I just smile, amazed by how much those seven words mean to me.

It's an odd thing for a seven-year-old to say to a dad, I think, but every day, it seems so genuine, like he really wants me to have a good day, and I always genuinely want him to have a good day at school too.

So, today, reflecting on my anniversary from yesterday, I thought to myself that it truly was a good day. It was a special day, a celebration, but it was more than that. I spent extra time in the morning with my children, then my son got to go to work with me, and we got to have lunch together. Then, I was able to use my body for some physical exercise, before spending a nice evening on a date with my wife.

A good day.

But, was it? I didn't feel it at the time, but something was missing. All the stuff I did was fun, pleasant, or enjoyable, but there was in fact something missing.

I've been spending time in the Word nearly every single day lately, studying, exctracting verses for closer inspection, and getting to know God more and more. I usually spend time praying to God several times per day, and a lot of times, I will stop and reflect on God's awesomeness, His power, His mercy and grace, basically taking moments out of my day for worship.

But, yesterday, for some reason, I didn't do any of that, and I'm not sure why. Was I too busy? Too engrossed in what I was doing, the fun I was having, the time I was spending with my loved ones, the things that are the most important to me? I'm not really sure why, but at the end of the day, despite the fact that the day I had was truly a "good day," I know I could have had a better day had I spent some time with Him, reading His Word, praying to Him, listening to Him, worshipping Him, thanking Him, etc.

Do I have to replace the time I spent with my family or exercising or working with these things? Absolutely not, but if I can find time for all of the stuff I do in a day, can't I make some time for God?

So, from this point forward, when Andrew says to me, "I hope you have a good day," I am going to make it a point to remember that a truly good day isn't just when you have fun with your family, or get to do something exciting or cool, but instead, a truly good day is when you get to do all of those things while also spending time with Him.

God bless,


Sean Hanzelik

Christmas is right around the corner, so start making your Christmas gift list and think about all those on your list who would love a good book. But, not only that, a HARDBACK, AUTOGRAPHED book.

Stop by my website:

http://www.readtheletters.com/ and purchase your SIGNED copy today for just $10.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey sean its david, just got your email and wanted to stop by and say hi. im doing really well. almost straight A's i have 2 B's. my friend katie's mom just wrote a book and is in the process of editing it and i mentioned that my nephew wrote a book not too long ago. turns out she just bought a copy off amazon, ill let you know what she thinks she said it looked quite interesting. Please send my regards to the family and i hope all is well. hopefully i will be able to visit i miss everyone. Love, David

Anonymous said...

The more I read your blog the more I realize how differently we think about God. I'm not saying you're wrong or I'm right or anything like that but we do think differently.

If I had the day you just wrote about, I would not view the events as independent events from my time with God, but rather, they are God's gift to me and the events of that day are God's way of sharing himself and his "awesomeness" with me...through the things and people I love the most. My enjoyment and happiness while experiencing those events and those moments with my family would be my way of experiencing God and sharing my time, thoughts, and emotions with God.

I understand what you mean though. With my perspective, you could say any moment is God's moment that he is sharing with us for us to experience with him. But that sounds right to me. I may not be aware of it though or may not acknowledge that I'm sharing a moment with God. But in reality, I am.

Sean Hanzelik said...

I don't look at anything that happened the other day as independent from God, nor do I look at any single second of my life as being independent of God. However, not once, during that entire "good" day did I stop and acknowledge God's blessing. I didn't thank Him, praise Him, or even consciously worship Him.

Worship is defined as "reverence offered to a divine being," which, by definition, requires an actual act of giving. In this case, it would have been a period of time, however short or long, during which I consciously expressed such reverence. Yes, I did this the following day, but it was an after-thought.

Without that, it's just a "good day."

Doesn't mean God wasn't giving, doesn't mean God wasn't present, doesn't mean He wasn't right there waiting on me to spend some time with Him, and it certainly doesn't mean He regrets blessing me with such a "good day."

What it does mean though is that I spent the day wrapped up in me, and despite that, it was still a good day. But trust me, when you take that, and expand it to include God, even if it's just to simply say "thank you," then you will have turned a good day into a great day without really even knowing it.

I consciously spent no time with my creator that day and He was right there the whole day, wanting me to commune with Him in some way, even if that was just to offer thanksgiving to Him for the wonderful day I was having.

I didn't read His word, didn't pray to Him, didn't praise Him, worship Him, or even say thanks.

I know I was experiencing blessings from God, but I was too wrapped up in me to even express gratitude.

Does God hold this against me? Absolutely not!!

But, I can tell you that I believe I missed out on the fullness of the blessing by focusing on me and by not, in essence, giving God His just due. Did I know I was missing something? No. Did I feel less at the time because of it? No.

It's not even something you can tangibly quantify, and it's not like it even feels diminished.

As an example, lets say my day was a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. The best day possible. It's maxed out, perfect, right? But, let's say I have that day without ever spending a single second with God, talking to Him, thanking Him, praising Him, humbling myself before Him, etc, etc. It's not like the day would drop to an 8. It would still be a 10, a perfect day. But, with my worship, praise, prayer, etc, the day becomes a 12 or a 14 or even higher. It's not less than perfect without it, because it's God-given and it's His blessing, but it just becomes more perfect.

This is a concept that may be so abstract it can't be proven or really even grasped, but it's my symbolic way of explaining the extra "seasoning" (so to speak) that adding God to the mix brings to life.

It goes from "sharing a moment with God" by happenstance to directly involving yourself with God in that moment, because you know and acknowledge that He is the giver of all blessings.