Friday, August 29, 2008

Another point of view...

So, God brought the Good Samaritan into my world again yesterday, and I was going to post a new blog then, but something stopped me. We'll be somewhat hopeful and call it the Holy Spirit, but it might have just been plain laziness and/or distractedness.

Either way, this morning, on my drive into work, I thought more about it, and something triggered a thought from a perspective different than I had ever really considered before.

When studying this parable, we always seem to focus on the work of the Good Samaritan and how he seemingly shunned the social mores of the time (Jews and Samaritans hated each other and went out of their way to NOT associate), went way above and beyond the call of duty to tend to the victim in this story, and basically epitomized Christ's call to "love your neighbor as yourself." For all intents and purposes, this is the classic example of what it means to serve others and to do everything you can to meet the needs of anybody and everybody, simply because we are called to do so.

But, what about the victim? Do we ever think about his role in this story? And, is there a lesson to be learned from him?

Those are rhetorical questions, so don't answer them...at least not yet. Instead, answer this:

When you have true life needs, are you able to let others either help you meet them, or maybe let them meet them outright for you?

If you are physically unable to do something due to an illness or injury, do you allow a well-meaning individual the opportunity to help you? Or, are you too proud or too self-sufficient to accept help? When you are in a financial bind, would you accept a monetary gift or financial assistance, or would you feel you should be able to make ends meet on your own, that it's your job to take care of yourself and/or your family?

Would your pride get in the way of allowing another person the opportunity to serve God by helping you?

You see, this Samaritan had such a compassionate heart for his fellow man that he couldn't just walk on by like the other two "religious" men in the story. He had a heart for people, and in my opinion, a true heart for God.

And, I believe when you refuse the assistance of another, you are quite possibly robbing them of the opportunity to serve the God they love.

Now, sure, the victim in this story was left for dead by the folks who beat him, so he wasn't really in a position to even tell this Samaritan to buzz off. I understand the comparison is somewhat of a stretch, but this morning, as I was driving to work, this is the side of the story that God wanted me to see.

That sometimes, when we are in need, by allowing others to meet our needs, we are actually affording them the opportunity to serve the God they love.

Regardless of how self-sufficient we think we are, or think we should be, there are often times we have needs of our own. And, maybe there is someone out there who is in close contact with God, and just maybe, God is telling that person to help you meet whatever need it is you have.

Are you going to be so bold as to keep them from serving God in their lives by being too prideful or self-sufficient to receive their help?

How dare you!!!
-----------------
As always, please check out my website: http://www.readtheletters.com/.

And, the book sales are going great!! I sincerely appreciate all the orders that have come through so far. If you haven't gotten yours yet, you are missing out. They are flying off the shelves!!

Lastly, I'd love to know your thoughts on my blog posts. I encourage you to post your comments. They can be supportive, encouraging, contrasting, or even antogonistic or contradicting. I certainly do not cast myself as some spiritual scholar, so I welcome any dissenting opinions, as long as they are presented nicely and politely. I wouldn't even mind a friendly debate.

Thank you for reading, and please keep checking back. I'm hoping to begin making more regular posts!! Please share this blog with everyone you know.

Oh yeah, if you love hand-made baby quilts, check out my wife's blog -- http://thebrowneyedpea.blogspot.com/ -- and order a quilt for you or someone you know!!

God bless,


Sean Hanzelik

7 comments:

Sean Hanzelik said...

If you have any thoughts on this post, or any others, I'd love to see your comments posted here.

God bless,

Sean
www.readtheletters.com

Tracy said...

You know me better than anyone. I too often let pride and self-sufficiency keep me from accepting help. I usually lean on you alone for help. I accept a "job" and expect that I should do it alone. I guess I should be more aware of other's offer for help. God may want "it" to be even better and send a Good Samaritan my way. I'm just too prideful to accept. Shame on me for sure. I'm glad that God isn't done with me yet!

Anonymous said...

It is hard to overcome pride in letting someone help me. But I am even capable of being prideful in attempting to not appear prideful. I can, in a self-preserving way, say that I am "letting someone help me so I am helping them fulfill their ministry." Jesus says in Revelation 3:17 (MSG) "You brag, 'I'm rich, I've got it made, I need nothing from anyone,' oblivious that in fact you're a pitiful, blind beggar, threadbare and homeless." So, where does that really leave me? With nothing...but in His Grace and Mercy... undeserving but loved anyway. He is awesome!

Sean Hanzelik said...

You are certainly correct. It is always such a fine line...a line so fine that only the Holy Spirit can truly distinguish it for us.

Thank you for your comments, and keep 'em coming!!

Sean
www.readtheletters.com

Stephanie said...

Thank you for my book. I am not sure when I will have a chance to start reading it but I look forward to it.
Thanks again.

Sean Hanzelik said...

Stephanie,

Hope you enjoy the book!!! If you do, spread the word!!

Sean
www.readtheletters.com

jandssearcy said...

Real interesting read Sean, I found myself asking many of these same questions and have recently been rediscovering my relationship with God. I will def read your first of what I hope are a very successful series of letters!